Being GIANT candy nerds - we here at Sugar Mountain LOVE fun facts about some of our favorite candies! Jelly Belly candies are loved all over the world for the amazing flavors and incredible ability to taste EXACTLY like they say they are going to! Check out the list below of our favorite Jelly Belly Facts!
- It takes 7 to 21 days to make a single Jelly Belly jelly bean.
- Enough Jelly Belly beans were eaten in the last year to circle the earth more than five times.
- The name Jelly Belly was inspired by the rhyme with Leadbelly, a 1920s blues singer.
- Jelly Belly beans were the first jelly beans in outer space when President Reagan sent them on the 1983 flight of the space shuttle Challenger.
- Jelly Belly beans were invented in 1976. They were the first jelly beans to be sold in single flavors and to come with a menu of flavors.
- Very Cherry remained the most popular flavor of Jelly Belly beans for two decades until 1998, when Buttered Popcorn moved into first place. In 2003 Very Cherry moved back into top position by a mere 8 million beans.
- The original eight flavors of Jelly Belly beans introduced in 1976 were Very Cherry, Root Beer, Cream Soda, Tangerine, Green Apple, Lemon, Licorice and Grape.
Now that we've got you drooling about Jelly Belly jelly beans... Come on down to your local Sugar Mountain to buy some for the lowest price in Canada! We're sure we'll be seeing you soon!